The Battle of San Jacinto was fought on April 21, 1836 near present-day Deer Park, TX. This decisive battle of the Texas Revolution may have taken General Samuel Houston and the Texan Army across land now named in honor of their fight against Santa Anna’s Mexican Army, The Battleground at Deer Park. One hundred and sixty years to the day, April 21, 1996, it was only fitting that an 18-hole golf course open with a nod to the battle that lasted just 18 minutes.
Maintaining the historical connection, golfers will twice travel across the Pruitt Truss Bridge during their round. In 1892 Simeon Henry West founded the City of Deer Park, about that same time the Pratt Truss Bridge was erected over the Leon River in Cornell County. It is the only surviving bridge built in Texas by the Clinton Bridge and Iron Company of Iowa and 104 years after its initial construction was moved to be a signature piece of The Battleground at Deer Park on opening day.